Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:59:09 +0200
From:      Nico Meijer <nico.meijer@zonnet.nl>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BSD display

Hi Steve,

>  Displaying the OS helps a hacker know
> which  approach cracking into a box.

This may be true. OTOH, not displaying the version of [insert software
package of the day here] may invite a 'hacker' to pull a full-scale
all-out number on you, trying every possible exploit he can get his
hands on. Or simply DDoS you out of this universe. Or launch whatever
OS-agnostic attack can be performed.

I'm sure there have been long discussions over this 'security by
obscurity' thing *somewhere*... ;-)

Buhbye... Nico

P.S. I guess nothing beats common sense coupled with regular upgrading.