Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:14:39 -0700
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Article: Network performance by OS

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 04:31:41PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> I guess it's fair to shove Linux deep into swap (as pro-FreeBSD
> benchmarkers always do), but not fair to make FreeBSD handle a
> large directory?

Well... no.  This test did stress FreeBSD's ability to handle large
directories, and that's fine.  Especially since they didn't even bother to
compare it to ReiserFS, which should be much better.  However, they could
have / should have leveled the playing field with one very simple tweak:

*Mount all filesystems async*

The tests merely tested the effect of the disk's ability to handle tagged
queuing and the disk's ability to cache stuff.

- alex