Date:      22 Mar 1997 09:56:53 -0500
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Daniel Duerr <daniel@photoflex.com>
Subject:   Re: PPP dial-on-demand question

Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au> writes:

> also, i've tried shelling out of ppp, usually the connection hangs for me
> too, this may mean that when you shell out of ppp that it no longer works
> (open to suggestions though).

This is true. The '!' shell suspends ppp, which most likely isn't what
you want.  Instead, try another virtual terminal, a new xterm, or you
can do a quick ^Z / bg %ppp combination.

> On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Daniel Duerr wrote:
> > I just started setting up FreeBSD on a ISDN 128k PPP dial-on-demand
> > connection. I am having a little problem. Whenever I use 'ppp' and dial
> > up to my provider, it either connects and then hangs up about 30 seconds
> > later or I use the '!' key to shell out of PPP and try using ftp or
> > telnet to connect out of my server which tells me 'xx.xx.xx: unknown
> > host'. (xx.xx.xx being the name of the server I am trying to get out to)
> >
> > Obviously, there is something going on with my DNS. What should I do to
> > fix this problem? Any ideas would be appreciated...

Make sure you have the lines

ondemand:
  delete ALL
  add 0 0 HISADDR

in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup (replace "ondemand" with the name of the ppp
entry you actually use) and make sure /etc/resolv.conf has the proper
entries for your nameserver(s).

-jay