Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 18:07:17 -0400
From:      Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dynamic Linker Problem?

Hi all,

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.2 (straight off the Walnut Creek CD-ROM at the
moment) and was attempting to install XFree86 3.2 onto my laptop
computer (actually a WinBook FX from my employer).  I had to shutdown
the computer via the power switch several times.  One of the
crashes/restarts seems to have damaged the filesystem in someway.

The symptoms are:

1) man reports the error message: "Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so".
Out of curiosity I executed man in the gnu debugger, gdb, and it ran
fine.  Other executables seem fine, vi, ed, sysinstall, user and group
management command, gdb.

2) no user except root can login, login reports:  "/usr/local/bin/tcsh:
Permission denied".  The same result with /bin/sh as the login shell.

3) fcsk does not report any problems with the filesystems.

The obvious answer is to reinstall FreeBSD, but that's the Microsoft
answer.  I was hoping that someone could give me some insight into the
problem, at least for academic purposes if nothing else.

Also, is the Cirrus Logic CL-6730 PCMCIA controller supported with
straight FreeBSD or are the PAO patches required?  Boot message seem to
indicate that the controller (controllers plural if the notebook is in
the port replicator) are being identified:

Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=1235 subclass=0)> rev 2 on
pci0:0
chip1 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=1234 subclass=128)> rev 3
on pci0:1
chip2 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=123b subclass=4)> rev 0 on
pci0:17
chip3 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=1013 device=1100 subclass=5)> rev 254
int a irq ?? on pci0:19:0
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 0 int a irq ?? on pci0:20
Probing for devices on PCI bus 1:
chip4 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=1013 device=1100 subclass=5)> rev 238
int a irq ?? on pci1:10:0

But, it later complains that /dev/card0 is not configured.  It reports
the same error whether the 3C589/3C589B NIC is in the notebook itself or
the port replicator.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Rick Siple, RickSiple@MPAInc.com
Programmer, Marvin & Palmer Associates, Inc.