Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 2020 17:09:46 +0100
From:      Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   jedec_dimm fails to boot

I met an Issue:

When I kldload jedec_dimm durig runtime, it works just as expected,
and the DIMM data appears in sysctl.

But when I do
 * load the jedec_dimm at the loader prompt, or
 * add it to loader.conf, or
 * compile it into a custom kernel,
it does not boot anymore.

My custom kernel does just hang somewhere while switching the screen,
i.e. no output. The GENERIC does immediate-reboot during the device
probe phase. So both are not suitable for gathering additional info
in an easy way. (And since my DIMM appear to have neither thermal nor
serial, there is not much to gain for me here, so I will not pursue
this further, at least not before switching to R.12.)
But I fear there are some general problems with sorting out of the
modules during system bringup - see also my other message titled
"panic: too many modules".

Some data for those interested:

FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p6
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570T CPU (IvyBridge)
Board: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8B75V/specifications/
Config:
hint.jedec_dimm.0.at="smbus12"
hint.jedec_dimm.0.addr="0xa0"
hint.jedec_dimm.1.at="smbus12"
hint.jedec_dimm.1.addr="0xa2"
hint.jedec_dimm.2.at="smbus12"
hint.jedec_dimm.2.addr="0xa4"
hint.jedec_dimm.3.at="smbus12"
hint.jedec_dimm.3.addr="0xa6"

ichsmb0: <Intel Panther Point SMBus controller> port 0xf040-0xf05f mem 0xf7d1500
0-0xf7d150ff irq 18 at device 31.3 on pci0
smbus12: <System Management Bus> on ichsmb0
smb12: <SMBus generic I/O> on smbus12

With GENERIC it becomes smbus0 (because drm2 is not loaded) and I need
to load "smbus" and "ichsmb" frontup.

Cheerio,
PMc