Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:04:17 -0400
From:      "Philip R. Moyer" <pmoyer@hyperon.com>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news server

Rick wrote:
>I am going to ask a very basic question. Where to the news servers at
>ISP get all the news groups from. Do they download them into there
>machines?
>
>I am looking for a very basic answer.

News hubs have "peers" with which they exchange news articles.  This
peering relationship is (at least, was when I was still doing sysadmin
work a few years ago) arranged on a per-site basis.  When I was at
Purdue, we used to exchange mail with, I believe University of Illinois.
Our server would download and upload new messages to our "upstream" hub,
and then we would do the same for our "downstream" feeds.

To answer your question, the ISPs download the news from their upstream
feeds.

Na zdarovye,
Phil