Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joe Diehl <joed@ksu.edu>
Cc:        install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD on a headless pc?

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Joe Diehl wrote:

> I was wondering what it would take to get a boot floppy compiled with
> the serial console device and setup so that I can simply put the floppy in
> my machine and turn it on and control the install via the console.

Installing w/o a display is really hard.  You would have to type '-k' into
the boot: prompt blind.  You can't steal a VGA video card and a display
for an hour?  :)

> I suppose that in addition to this request that I'm also looking for
> the installer to install a kernel with all the serial console stuff already
> in the kernel.  At least enough for me to get the machine running and
> compile my own kernel.

The -k option is your friend.  Once you get up you can build with 'options
COMCONSOLE'.

Rebuilding the boot floppy is a long and arduous process.

> Essentially I'm looking at building a FreeBSD based firewall.. The
> machine is going to be headless, and so I'd just assume not have to
> take my desktop workstation apart for the monitor and video card.

Oh, just lazy.  :)

Try -k.  I've never tried it so the results may not be defined.