Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:49:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        robert@webtent.com
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: db performance

>> is used)? what is more stupid? whould we vote?
>
> That was my whole point of showing you the low usage. I take that as a
> yes, RAID 1+0 would provide a dramatic difference in speed, thanks!

the only adventage of RAID-5 is less "wasted" space than RAID-1. one and
the only adventage. write performance is terrible on small writes -
exactly what happens on database usage.

with today sizes of disks more "wasted" space doesn't make much a problem,
as i don't think your database have hundreds of gigabytes.

did you look how much disks (no matter what RAID or just devices) are
actually used?!

use systat