Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 11:24:38 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        PARADOX@DEPAUW.EDU, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cpu upgrade, 486SX25 -> ?, feasible?

This isn't FreeBSD-related, but...

At 02:57 PM 11/21/98 -0500, PARADOX@DEPAUW.EDU wrote:
>But - the only upgrades now available are to 586 class chips, at this stage
>of the cpu cycle, I assume that the upgrade chips offered are cyrix, amd,
>or similar.

I've seen Evergreen chips in use...simple drop-in replacement.

>And the bios on this machine is not upgradeable, or so I have
>been told, by someone at a zenith [there being two (at least) nowadays].
>The other didn't want to know.  But is a bios upgrade really necessary?
>I'm tempted to think that people must be making money from upgrade cpus and
>if they uniformly failed to work for bios reasons, they would quickly fold.

you don't really need a bios upgrade unless you want to use a "large"
(>540MB or >504MB) hard drive with it. and if that's what you wan't then
you'd get a an IDE or SCSI controller with an onboard bios.

>I do realize that the right thing to do is go with a new mb, but that would
>require at least a new case and a video card, not to mention the new cpu.
>At the moment that's too costly an option.

you'd only need a new case if your case is one of those "special" cases
that only name-brand computers use... and you could keep using an ISA video
card, if that's what you have.

>Anybody gone the upgrade route?  Any advice?  And in the event it should
>happen, is all that would be necessary before the swap is a to beild a new,
>appropriate, kernel?

just boot with kernel.GENERIC after the upgrade, before you build a new kernel

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )