Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 99 13:53:20 PDT
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu
Subject:   Re: IPX Gateway using FreeBSD

>On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Oscar Bonilla wrote:
>> Would it be possible to access an internal novell server (using IPX)
>> from a Win95 machine that connects to the FreeBSD box using the modem
>> and PPP?

Oscar, if you are still interested, try one of Boris Popov's pages:

http://dixi.8m.com/
http://www.butya.kz/~bp

They contain some useful how-to's on setting up IPX for FreeBSD.
I'll put also some relevant parts from my rc.conf at the end
of this message.

>Doug White wrote:
>I don't know if FreeBSD PPP supports IPX or not.  I'm guessing no, since

So am I. Maybe Brian Somers can shed some light on this...

>> I have no experience whatsoever using IPX, and for what I've heard,
> IPX is not ever routable.
>
>It's routable, but it sucks to route since it doesn't have a strict idea
>of concepts like subnets.

Hmmm... Probably I got this wrong, but what I have:

<<From /etc/rc.conf>>

network_interfaces="ep0 ep1 ep2 lo0 sl0"
[...]
ifconfig_ep0_ipx="ipx aaaa0000"
ifconfig_ep1_ipx="ipx bbbb0000"
ifconfig_ep2_ipx="ipx cccc0000"
[...]
ipxgateway_enable="YES"         # Set to YES to enable IPX routing.
ipxrouted_enable="YES"          # Set to YES to run the IPX routing daemon.
ipxrouted_flags="-s"            # Flags for IPX routing daemon.
ipxnetbios_enable="YES"         # YES to enable sharing under IPX.
[...]

Note last line - I added it by myself (with the corresponding
entry in /etc/rc.network) to enable disks/printers sharing
between my different Ethernet segments in the mixed Win3x/Win9x/WinNT
workstations LAN (sigh...).

>Your bigger problem is that the dialup link does not support IPX.

It seems true... What a pity for you 8-(

Igor Bykhalo.