Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:05:11 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What packages can I deinstall?

Pat Maddox wrote:
> I've got a bunch of packages installed on my machine and I'd like to
> know if I can deinstall any of them.  I know what a lot of them do,
> and know what will happen if I deinstall them.  Others, I'm not really
> sure.  For example I've got a package named cclient
> (http://www.freshports.org/mail/cclient/) installed.  If I run
> pkg_deinstall -n cclient, it says that it'd be removed without any
> problems.  So evidently no other package is depending on
> this...perhaps it's just an artifact from a package I installed a
> while back but deinstalled?
>
> Basically I'd like to clear out any unused packages.  Is it safe to
> just run on pkg_deinstall -n on any package I don't recognize, and if
> it isn't required as a dependency for another package go ahead and
> delete it?
>
> Thanks,
> Pat

It should be safe to do as long as you are fairly sure you don't need
it.  There's a KDE program called gpkgdep (sysutils/gpkgdep) that let's
you see what depends on a package.  It also lets you "simulate" the
deinstall of different packages.  It might be quicker than the command
line tools to find those packages,  though you still have to
pkg_deinstall manually.

HTH,
Micah