Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 13:15:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org, lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br
Subject:   Re: boot disk....

> >Stage 2 boostrap ...
> >... should perform MBR fixup to
> >guarantee that the absolute offset field in the MBR matches the c/h/s
> >values for the slice under the BIOS geometry.
>
> Only for its own benefit.  Drivers don't want to know about yet another
> translation.

If this is there, then there is NO SUCH THING AS TRANSLATION from the
kernel perspecitve.  The kernel ignores the C/H/S values, using the 32
bit sector offsets instead (which are now guaranteed to be valid).

Almost all translation problems bite the dust.  The exception is for
non-linear translation (BIOS-based sector sparing, etc.), and then
you are screwed on a shared disk in any case unless you can turn it
off.  You are also screwed unless the disk is used as a naked BSD disk
without a DOS partition table/MBR.  It works with the BIOS boot code
because the cylinder offset on a naked partition is invariant under
translation.

> >It should also be buildable
> >as a DOS program, to allow it to work with Ontrack's Disk Mangler.  The
>
> Nothing should require DOS utilitites to build.

Agree.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---