Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:01:01 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/ath log messages

--nextPart1203715.moLr5JRJVm

On Friday 06 January 2006 07:47 am, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Beech Rintoul wrote:
> > I have noticed that for about the past month or so I've been getting
> > hundreds of the following every day in /var/log/messages:
> >
> > +ath0: link state changed to DOWN
> > +ath0: link state changed to UP
> >
> > It doesn't seem to affect connectivity, but it's really annoying in the
> > security report. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I'm running
> > -CURRENT from yesterday. I have built Sam's new drivers, but this probl=
em
> > started long before that and was not affected by the upgrade. The lease
> > on the AP I'm connecting to is good for 24 hours so I don't think that's
> > an issue. I looked at the traffic with ethereal and everything looks
> > normal. I'm getting sorely tempted to go back to isc-dhclient and see if
> > this goes away, but I thought I would ask here first.
>
> sysctl net.link.log_link_state_change=3D0
>
> will make the msgs go away.  I do this on all my laptops.
>
> The issue (which should be in an FAQ) is that your station is
> reassociating to the ap, typically because you are idle.  Each time this
> happens the link state goes down+up.  The dhcp lease is not relevant.
> You might be able to tweak ap parameters to increase the idle timeout
> but aside from the link state msgs there's no reason to.
>
> 	Sam

Thanks Sam, that did fix my problem. That was really annoying, especially I=
f I=20
wanted to look at dmesg and that was all that was there. Maybe that should=
=20
default to "0" with the option to turn it on as I'm sure most users don't=20
want all those messages.

just my $.02

Beech

=2D-=20

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech@gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://akparadise.byethost33.com