Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:31:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brenton Vandepeer <bvandepe@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Excessive memory consumption with gnuplot

> Here's the story (see kern/8473):
>
> Invoking gnuplot 3.5 under FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE causes excessive
> consumption of memory when displaying data. The problem seems to
> occur above some threshold in input data file size. For example,
> input data files above about 1 Mb sometimes give rise to 150 -
> 200 Mb of swap being consumed. One data file tested with a size
> of 3 Mb caused ~400 Mb of swap to be consumed. This problem is not
> repeatable under 3.0-RELEASE, or another OS tested (linex 2.0.0)

Which malloc is/are your gnuplot binaries linked against?  Use

  ldd `which gnuplot`

to get a library listing (presuming it's not linked statically).

If you take the binary from the 2.2 system and run it on the 3.0 system,
does it exhibit the 2.2 or 3.0 behavior?  Did you build the gnuplot
binaries from the ports collection or were they package installs?
Which version(s) of gnuplot are you running?

The behaviour you're describing is typical of pathalogically bad
malloc() interaction; it's fairly uncommon to see this with the FreeBSD
malloc, which is why I ask which one(s) you're using.  (There haven't
been significant changes to the libc malloc for over a year now.)

The contents of /proc/<pid>/map would also be interesting to see (where
<pid> is the process ID of the offending gnuplot process).

How's the brewing going?  Made up for the dent you must have made a few
weeks back?