Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:31:06 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Zulkarnain <zul@unsyiah.ac.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp_wrappers

On 28 Apr 99, at 16:26, Zulkarnain wrote:

> Dan, how do you configure it than you got the correct output of
> tcp_wrappers ...I'm getting deeply confuse now.

As was I.  So I started playing around with a test system I have here.
I installed tcp_wrappers and tried to get the logging going.  It took
me ages.  I'm sorry I didn't fully document this the first time I did it.

> could you explain more detail ?? or may be you could send your
> configuration to me :)

Here's my logs:

Apr 28 21:59:03 daisy telnetd[6786]: connect from ngatoto.dvl-software.com
Apr 28 21:59:25 daisy login: login from ngatoto.dvl-software.com on ttyp1 as mike

Here is a clean syslog.conf file as just obtained from -current

#       $Id: syslog.conf,v 1.9 1998/10/14 21:59:55 nate Exp $
#
#       Spaces are NOT valid field separators in this file.
#       Consult the syslog.conf(5) manpage.
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
auth.*;authpriv.*                               /var/log/auth.log
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*                                          /var/cron/log
*.err                                           root
*.notice;news.err                               root
*.alert                                         root
*.emerg                                         *
# uncomment these if you're running inn
# news.crit                                     /var/log/news/news.crit
# news.err                                      /var/log/news/news.err
# news.notice                                   /var/log/news/news.notice
!startslip
*.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
!ppp
*.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log

I added the following line:
auth.*;authpriv.*                               /var/log/auth.log

But I added that line just after the "/var/log/messages" messages line.

My first mistake was placing that last line (auth....) at the bottom of
the file.  And nothing was appearing.  I moved the line up and the messages
started to appear.

Lemme know what happens.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited