Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:30:22 -0800
From:      gregm@netidea.com
To:        "Justin Cushman" <jpcushma@usa.alcatel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-windows Resolution

I've just worked through this myself ...
If you've already configure the server (XF86Config or XF86Setup)
and can't ctrl+alt+numpad (+ or -) to another resolution you might
try running XF86Setup and choosing a lower color resolution in the
monitor mode selection. It's what it took for me to accomplish it
(also in 2.2.6 but a desktop).
Good luck,
Greg Martin
gregm@netidea.com