Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2006 05:45:44 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh install on gmirror'ed disks?

On Friday 03 March 2006 00:01, Mike Jakubik wrote:

> Because most Linux distributions have had this feature for a while now.
> It's no secret that our installer blows. It gets the job done for a
> basic install, provided you know its quirks, and thats it.

I don't think that having or not a raid option at install time is classifyi=
ng=20
the installer as behind nor I think it is important. Freebsd's installer=20
probably lacks a nice look but on the other side it is clear and direct and=
=20
you get without lots of questions and blabla the system up and running in=20
5-10 minutes what certainly is straight forward and not behind.=20

> > What would be the advantage to have raid as OS install option?
> > Certainly such option confuse average users which probably do not know
> > what raid is.
>
> I think the advantage is clear. You don't have to waste time installing
> the OS, then going through a complex procedure to setup RAID, and
> reinstalling again, i think that would confuse average users more.
> Besides, FreeBSD is a server operating system, and is not intended for
> average users.=20

The only advantage I can see is when you really want raid at install time a=
nd=20
that definitly is not usual.=20

Even if *your* opinion is that Freebsd is not intended for average users it=
 is=20
used by thousends of them.=20

Setting up raid with gmirror on FBSD is as easy as dd'ing an image to a flo=
ppy=20
disk so I do not see where you wast your time - still less since you do not=
=20
need to reinstall the OS again. So who is confused here is you.

> If you don't know what RAID is, you shouldn't be in IT.

well well, "if you don't know shut up" is definitly a wise comment and help=
s=20
people learning ... this thought is so far behind as when people still walk=
ed=20
on all four.=20

Jo=E3o