Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 12:14:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        paul@freebsd.org
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, pete@sms.fi, davidg@Root.COM, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

> > > After a release there is no "ongoing maintenance" only "new release work".
> >
> > Wrong, that is one place FreeBSD has surely lacked in being of ``commercial''
> > quality.  I still have support contracts with customers running 1.1.5.1 and
> > I have rolled my own ``update'' kits that include things like the CERT
> > fixes for sendmail, CERT fixes for libskey, CERT fixes for BIND, etc...
> > My customers pay me dearly for this, but are quite glad to know they can
> > come to me and get this type of stuff fixed.  FreeBSD, can now, and should
> > start to provide these on its own.
>
> Well I agree in one sense but not another. I don't think the "FreeBSD team"
> is in the business of providing support. I think it should concentrate
> on getting the development work done so I don't want to see that
> effort diverted to maintaing previous releases except in exceptional
> cases where serious bugs slipped through.

How about some definitions....
FreeBSD Project:
	a large mass of folks working on FreeBSD, usually as groups of
	people called ``teams''.

FreeBSD release team:
	The small group of folks working on producing releases.

FreeBSD maintainance team:
	A non existent group of folks working on fixing critical bugs
	in the last release, things that create CERT advisories should
	be fixed by these folks, and releases as a .x point release(s)
	to all proir production releases created by the ``release team''.
	This team must have conservative views as to what is a ``fix''
	to a realease, and what is a ``new feature''.  Major rewrites
	of code to fix a bug should not be considered by them.  Fixing
	off_t in src/sbin/dump should for all releases lower than 2.1,
	as should fixing security holes in sendmail on all prior releases
	to 2.1.  My estimate for man power needed here is <8 hours per
	week, which is about what I spend on doing similiar things for
	existing customers.

FreeBSD developement team:
	The largest group of folks working on FreeBSD, these are the
	people who lay down major new functionality and rework code so
	that it works the ``right way'' for future releases.

> I agree with Terry that for
> your average FreeBSD user, saying it's fixed in the next release is
> good enough.

Well, maybe you should step back and take a closer look as to what some
of our ``average FreeBSD users'' are doing with FreeBSD.  Believe it or
not FreeBSD is becomeing very large in the ISP market segment, these
people _must_ have security related bugs fixes in a rapid manner, and
infact many of them have there own full time staff to make _sure_ they
have these fixes in place.  That is a lot of resource that could be pulled
into a cooperative effort to create this ``maintaninance team'', and these
people tend to be very conservative about doing anything that could degrade
there systems.

> Now, where I agree is that there are oppurtunities to offer FreeBSD on
> a more serious level, where companies pay decent bucks for ongoing
> support contracts. Providing the mechanism to make this possible is a good
> thing although it raises more complex issues relating to who has access
> to the repository and so forth.

Simple for me, I shadow off a repository after the release tag and do
all my customer support work in there.  I am willing to think about
provoding this work back to the project for free, but that may be
cutting my own throat with respect to why should we pay Accurate Automation
for this work when it just turns around and gives it away.  Well, I have
a simple answer for that, if no one pays me to do it I ain't going to
do it at all.  Simple business folks, yes, I am now fully in the Commercial
FreeBSD business, work won't come from me on this project unless someone
is footing the bill to have me do it, I simply no longer have the time
to give away massive numbers of my hours :-(.

> I should perhaps clarify that the two roles overlap, I'd expect that
> individual from the "FreeBSD team" would be the one's dealing with
> support but the abstract entity "FreeBSD team" should be in the business
> of getting the next release done and not worry about retrofitting various
> bug fixes into releases that are long gone. There simply aren't the resources
> to do so. A point release takes the same amount of effort to push out the
> door as a completely new release, if it's treated with the same level of
> seriousness.
>

> > > This has to be true because the work that went into making the "stable"
> > > branch "stable" in the first place can not be duplicated in the rolling
> > > in of a quick patch.  By doing ongoing maintenance without equivalently
> > > long cycle times, you compromise the meaning of the "stable" tag.
> >
> > Not if you only fix _CRITICAL_ bugs, and do complete testing of the fix
> > before you intergrate it.  This is no different that what is being done
> > to _create_ the 2.1 release as a stabalized release.  IMHO, a little too
> > much is coming over, but it is not my *ss on the line if it blows up so
> > I will defer that judgement to those who are doing the work (and it is
> > work, and it is a judgement call).
>
> I agree with these points, if only critical fixes are done then this is
> basically what I'm in favour of but I know from experience that not
> enough restraint is exercised during the release process and that too many
> things get unecessarily upgraded or enhanced because they seem safe enough
> or individuals just decide that bits aren't presentable enough and start
> re-writing them and a 2.1.1 on that basis would be unreliable and would
> detract from development on -current, which is where such things should
> take place anyway. 2.1 is likely to be our most stable release for a while
> because controls have been placed on it and it has been in that "controlled"
> state for quite a while.

Point well made, but I think being in a ``maintainance mode'' after a release
fully knowing that 2.2 is coming will help curtail a lot of the ``pull the
latest wizzy wig into the branch'' problem that has pleagued the release
person or team over the years.  People won't be pusing to get stuff into
the maintainance branch, they will be pusing to get things into the next
release branch, thus eliminating a lot of the problem.