Date:      Sun, 07 May 2000 03:00:42 +0900
From:      "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        sada@bsdclub.org
Cc:        tom@eborcom.com, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, girgen@partitur.se, cjh@kr.freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Introducing a netscape wrapper

[Seems this mail that I sent this morning wasn't distributed to the
ports list probably due to the maintenance of the machines at
FreeBSD.org, so I'm having a second try...  I apologize to those
recipients who would receive this message again]

At Sat, 06 May 2000 06:46:25 +0900,
SADA Kenji <sada@bsdclub.org> wrote:
> # cd /usr/ports
> # grep 'do-install' */*netscape*/Makefile
> japanese/netscape-fonts/Makefile:do-install:
> japanese/netscape3.language/Makefile:do-install:
> japanese/netscape4-communicator/Makefile:do-install:
> korean/netscape3/Makefile:do-install:
> korean/netscape4-communicator/Makefile:do-install:
> russian/netscape3.language/Makefile:do-install:
> www/linux-netscape4/Makefile:do-install:
> www/linux-netscape6/Makefile:do-install:
> www/netscape4-communicator.us/Makefile:do-install:
> www/netscape4-communicator/Makefile:do-install:
>
> Hm, many ports have own do-install target, but not every port.

Don't you think ten is enough? :)

> I argue again, if you'd like to use the new wrapper with
> l-n6 or mozilla port, I'll agree with importing it
> as new independent port.

The wrapper doesn't work with mozilla derivatives because they don't
seem to provide remote protocol support currently.

> Otherwise I recommend to install the wrapper in n4-c port's Makefile.
>
> Each language specific port should do, for example, as:
>
> 1. move original wrapper *.run to *.run.orig.
> 2. install own wrapper as *.run.
> 3. At deinstall time, move *.run.orig to *.run.
>
> By the way, with www/l-n4,
> I've made a patch and removed its do-install target.
> # And now the port would be installed on PREFIX/lib/netscape-linux.
> Tom, I'll be glad if you check it and give me approval to check-in.
>
> I believe I could make a patch for n4-c.u if needed.

Wooo.  I thought you must've been the first to object to me if I had
proposed and urged such changes.  That is why I emphasized the phrase
"minimum changes" and took more conservative way. :> :>

Anyway, I'm okay when you are.

> >> In addition, if you were to put the wrapper script in
> >> www/netscape4-communicator/files, then each (indirect) slave port
> >> would have to have advanced knowledge of the exact place of the script
> >> other than its master directory.  That wouldn't be nice, IMHO.
>
> Just specify as "${MASTERDIR}/files/<WRAPPER_SCRIPT>".

Hmm, sure it works...  I learned MASTERDIR does not chain.  Another
broken part of the current ports system, probably. ;)

> What is "IMHO" :)

It stands for "in my humble opinion".  Grab the Jargon Dictionary!

	http://www.netmeg.net/jargon/terms/i/IMHO.html

I'll look into your patch tonight, thanks.

[And I'm testing it now. :) ]

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"