Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:37:44 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Rusu Silviu <bsdgroup.md@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, personrp@upmc.edu
Subject:   Re: linuxnero does not see SATA recorder

Quoting Rusu Silviu <bsdgroup.md@gmail.com> (from Thu, 26 Mar 2009 =20
15:53:32 +0200):

>> Plese run nero within ktrace and provide the output of linux_kdump. MAybe
>> it is trying to access some /proc entries, which are not emulated.
>

> attached linux_kdump output file

Here's the list of stuff nero (and/or some libs) tries to open in /dev =20
/proc and /sys:
---snip---
/compat/linux/dev/scd0
/compat/linux/dev/scd1
/compat/linux/dev/scd2
/compat/linux/dev/scd3
/compat/linux/dev/sg0
/compat/linux/dev/sg1
[... upto sg9 ...]
/compat/linux/dev/sr0
/compat/linux/dev/sr1
/compat/linux/dev/sr2
/compat/linux/dev/sr3
/compat/linux/dev/urandom
/compat/linux/proc/66876/stat
/compat/linux/proc/ide/ide0
/compat/linux/proc/ide/ide1
[... upto ide31 ...]
/compat/linux/proc/meminfo
/compat/linux/proc/scsi/scsi
/compat/linux/sys/block
/compat/linux/sys/devices
---snip---

Now we need to investigate what linux is having at those places and =20
what is needed to emulate it (only text output, or ioctls, ...). =20
Anyone with a linux system and appropriate hardware out there who is =20
able to post examples?

>> Can you provide an example what this file should contain in your case?
>

> actually i have no idea what it should be
> linuxnero manual says it should contain something in case there are
> scsi/sata recorders on the system

Without an example we can not emulate...

> seems it has nothing to do with SATA
> it even does not see any IDE recorders
> ie, it does not see this
> acd0: DVDR <Optiarc DVD RW AD-7191S/1.01> at ata5-master UDMA33

When I look at the list of files nero tries to access, it's not a =20
surprise that it doesn't see it. We do not emulate the necessary ide =20
stuff.

> Rod Person says he gave up to make it work
> also other people complaints about same issue
> does someone make it work ever?

I don't remember to have seen something on the emulation@ list. If =20
there would have been something, I would have reacted the same as for =20
you (kdump + analysis).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.
=09=09-- Lord Thomas Rober Dewar

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137