Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:04:49 +0200
From:      Alex Blagoveschensky <alex@belpak.by>
To:        Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jail revisited

hello

Dave VanAuken wrote:

> okay, jail is up, running, and functional thanks to the assistance
> found here.
>
> still playing around with some aspects. for example:
>
> Problem 1:  Wish to give jail owner the ability to install ports (or
> try to) as they see fit, essentially to configure the virtual machine.
> I do not want to make duplicate copies of the entire ports directory
> but from what I can delve from the documentation, jail will not allow
> a link to the ports directory (outside the jail, and thus for obvious
> reasons).
>
> simple solution would be to provide ftp access on the host machine to
> the directory containing the ports...  if there a more eloquent
> solution?

I use mount_union(8) for create skel.
for example:

mount -t union -o ro /usr/ports /path/to/jail/usr/ports
and then I start jail.

But you should remember that: THIS FILESYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY
SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR OWN
RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

bye

--
Belpak Network
http://alex.belpak.by