Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 10:07:26 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        kmitch@weenix.guru.org (Keith Mitchell)
Cc:        torstenb@freebsd.org, peter@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH port patch

As Keith Mitchell wrote:

> The current port of ssh does not take into account expired passwords
> or expired accounts and will therefore still let people in if their
> account expires.  The following patch fixes that as well as flagging "*" as
> a locked password along with "*LK*".

I seriously object against the latter!

All my FreeBSD accounts do have a "*" Unix password, since i never use
Unix passwords on them, but exclusively rely on ssh or S/Key.  Your
proposal would prevent me from logging in.  IMO, "*" means ``No Unix
passwords allowed'', not ``Account is locked''.  (I know that there
are more accounts being prepared this way on FreeBSD.)

It should obey expiration however, in particular account expiration.
(Obeying password expiration is questionable if passwords aren't being
used to log in.)

Should your changes only apply to the case where passwords are in
effect, the above is moot, of course.

--
cheers, J"org