Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:58:23 -0600
From:      "GB" <gregbrooks@blue-mouse.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   My first FreeBSD question (ports and versions)

Hello all... first-time caller (as they say on the talk shows) with a
question.

When trying to make either PHP4 or mod_PHP, I run into trouble with
pdflib. The version in the ports tree is older than what I've been able
to find for download, so the make of pdflib dies and the only way to
move forward is to make PHP without the pdflib support.

The core questions:

* How do I solve this single discrepancy? (Just download the most
current pdflib and install manually?)

* Is there a way to update the ports tree that will include
latest-and-greatest versions? I've read up on cvsup (including Sue's
excellent explanation on this list) and feel like I may be missing
something -- is a variant of portsupgrade the answer?

Perhaps there's a problem with later versions of pdflib, since I
downloaded the 4.5 release ISO and it was still pointing to 3.x, rather
than the current 4.02.

Nobody asked, but here's a random rave about FreeBSD: After trying three
Linux distros (Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian) and being dissatisfied, I
installed FreeBSD 4.5 over the weekend -- and it's great! It's stable,
the commands make sense, and there is NOTHING on the machine that I
don't want/need. THANK YOU to all the volunteers who make this project
work!

Greg B.