Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 18:48:31 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
Cc:        Nicola Vitale <nivit@libero.it>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about mdoc formatting

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 09:33:03AM -0500, Mike Pritchard wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 03:51:45PM +0200, Nicola Vitale wrote:
> > > [Mark Ovens, 21/05/00]
> > > How do you force a newline in mdoc?
> >
> > .br
>
> No, don't use *roff formatting directives directly within -mdoc
> style man pages.
>
> The .Pp macro will generate a line break, as well as an empty line,
> which may not be what you want.
>
> > So in your
> >
> > > Example:
> > >
> > > .It Ev DEF_BUILD_DIR
> > > If set, is used as the path of the build directory instead of
> > > .Pa /usr/src/sys/compile .
> > > It can be overridden by the
> > .br
> > > .Fl d Ar destdir
> > > option.
>
> I would suggest something like this (untested):
>
> .It Ev DEF_BUILDER_DIR
> If set, is used as the path of the build directory instead of
> .Pa /usr/src/sys/compile
> It can be overridden by the
> .Dq Fl d Ar destdir
> option.
>

> This should generate something like:
>
>      DEF_BUILDER_DIR       If set, is used as the path of the build
> 			   directory instead of _/usr/src/sys/compile.
> 			   It can be overridden by the ``-d destdir'' option.

Nah, it didn't work. It used double quotes, but still wrapped the
same.

I guessed that there wasn't a direct solution, after all inserting a
line-break that is correct in an 80-column window would be wrong in a
90-column, even though FreeBSD manpages format to 80 even if the
window is bigger.

I suppose what is really needed is for

.Fl d Ar destdir

to use a non-breaking space between the flag and the arg.

In this case I'll just stick the extra word in.

Thanks for the help.

> -Mike
> --
> Mike Pritchard
> mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX