Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 13:49:37 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        mpcd@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snazzier FreeBSD home page

    John> What I would add (if I had graphical talent) would be a a
    John> new footer containing Home and Index links that are
    John> graphically compatible with the new header.  I'd also like
    John> to duplicate the top level categories from the home page for
    John> quick access, but I think there may be too many to easily
    John> fit.

Agreed.  That would enable people who've gone to deep to avoid having
to back out.  (Not that I browse that way, but believe it or not I've
seen some people that do.)

    John> Then, because the right hand side is smooshed horizontally,
    John> the copyright statement gets mangled.  All the footer info
    John> should span the full width, or be re-designed.

That's what I said!  ;-)

    John> graphical menu on the left?  I'm not too enthused by the
    John> design, particularly the treatment of three word links.

I knew there was something that bugged me about that menu.  The
FreeBSD Gallery is the only three-word button that works, and I think
the only reason is that the word `The' is capitalized.  The `Obtaining
and Installing' button includes a lowercase `and' that doesn't give an
indication of order.

    John> Do we have to hawe *two* VIP graphis in the footer?

I assumed that they did it for free and that they could be allowed an
extra advertisement as a result.

    >> (Actually, I don't like those popular page access counters
    >> since they usually don't give me any useful
    >> information

    John> And why is that?  Because they don't give you a DATE!

Wrong!

    John> 8-)

Oh.

Seriously, I could are less how many times other people have visited a
particular page.  Low number, I read the page.  High number, I read
the page.  Oy!  Am I missing out on some cognitive dissonance here to
which I'm entitled?  ``Quick, press BACK!  There've only been TWO
other people so far!!''  :-)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov