Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:01:45 -0500
From:      "Chanderpaul, Pradesh" <Pradesh_Chanderpaul@stratus.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   WANTED : Idiot's guide to dynamic loading in FreeBSD

Could someone please provide guidance with this topic. You can
help by filling in the blanks. I have searched the mailing lists
man pages and the net at large without getting a satisfactory
understanding.

Consider the following scenario.

I need to compile a program consisting of two source files.

main.c	--> contains 	--> int main(int argc, char **argv)
misc.c	--> contains	--> int funcA(arg1, arg2, ... )

main() does not know in advance that it has to invoke funcA.
It uses dlopen()/dlsym() to obtain references and invoke funcA.

The two source files will be linked into a single executable.

I am using GCC running on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.

Q1 : What flags are required to compile the individual source files?
Q2 : What flags are required to link the object files into the
     single executable?
Q3 : Is there anything else I should be wary of?

Thanking you in advance.

Pradesh Chanderpaul                   Phone:  +27 12 663 3260/6

Stratus Computer Systems              FAX  :  +27 12  663  3281
South Africa CAC
          Email:  Pradesh_Chanderpaul@stratus.com
<mailto:Pradesh_Chanderpaul@stratus.com>