Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:58:27 +0200
From:      Jacopo Pecci <jacopo.pecci@erv.ericsson.se>
To:        "'FREEBSD'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TCP threshold

I am experiment some problem with the variable "ssthresh"  (the threshold
that marks the change from Slow start to Congestion avoidance).in TCP,
FreeBSD.
I have just discovered that every time I start a new socket the value of
this variable depends on the final value in the previous socket. It means
that if socket 1 has some drop of packets, the next socket I will establish,
will have a much lover value of the threshold. WHY? each socket is
completely independent from the previous, why it should inherit such
information?.
I have repeated 7 times one experiment that encountered 1 drop each time and
at the end the starting value of this variable was 26K, pretty small compare
with the very first value 1G!
I would like to do several measurements and compare the results but I can
not do that if I always change my scenario.
Is there any way to avoid that? (the only way I know is to reboot the
machine every time) Could I change TCP code or that might be dangerous?

Thanks, Jacopo.