Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:20:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        dudester@genocide.dimensional.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hey guys.. Got a question about ICQ and Java

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 dudester@genocide.dimensional.com wrote:

> Hi.. I am currently trying to install Java to work with ICQ, but I am
> not having much success. I've read all the docs (albeit unclear), and
> was hoping someone would give me a step-by-step instructions.. I've got
> kwhite's JDK1.1 and ICQ for Java sitting on my HD, collecting dust, although
> I want to meet up with my girlfriend on ICQ..

[responding to the list because I see this question alot]

This worked for me on a FreeBSD 2.2.2/XFree3.3.1 machine. I can't promise
that it works for everyone, but it did for me.

1) Remove ALL previous instances of failed java installations, including
any environmental settings (ICQJava doesn't need the normal environmental
settings)

2) Install kwhite's JDK1.1, and either the patch or the workarounds
mentioned on the web page http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kwhite/javaport.html
I used the workarounds, since the patch reported checksum errors. Also
note that you make have to rerun mkfontdir if you didn't install all the
font packages.

3) remove the font.properties file from the jdk1.1/lib directory

4) Test the Java example apps that come with the JDK.  Not all will work,
but at least some of the graphic apps will, which will tell you that the
JDK itself is correctly installed. One possible problem is the number of
bitplanes per pixel that you have X set up for. Java likes 8 and 32, since
that is what Sun machines use, though at least some of the XFree86 drivers
will work in 24 bit mode (I think it has to do with whether or not the
driver allows 32bit pixmaps, but I'm not sure).

5) Download ICQJava 0.91 or later, 0.95 is the latest, and includes
chatting (earlier versions only allowed individual messages). Install it
per the instructions included in the tar file.

6) [Optional, but I recommend it] Install Lesstif 0.82, and link
jdk1.1/lib/i386/green_threads/libXm.so to the new Lesstif library.
This will fix the annoying inability to read long messages, though the
initial window will have all of its widgets shifted until you resize the
window.