Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:21:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        paul@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

>  * Could we add a dependency file or something along those lines, that
>  * has the paths of the files the package depends on and then we can
>  * check whether the file actually exists and even whether it has the
>  * correct permissions.
>
> The problem with this approach is that it hard-codes the "local" tree
> to /usr/local and the X tree to /usr/X11R6, which we are trying to
> avoid.

Not really, the paths will can be relative to the tree root.

Something like,

bin/gmake
lib/libtiff
etc.

and the mk file will know what these are relative to. We could also check
/usr/local/* as a fallback in case binaries have been hand installed,
if they're installed anywhere besides /usr/local or the ports root then
it's too non-standard and we can just abort.

We can improve things a lot from where we currently are but it does
complicate things that much more. In this case I think it's worth it
though. Having PPP start up and download something I already have is
really bad.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul