Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:55:10 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Interscan Viruswall for Linux.... on FreeBSD-4.x

On 2001-01-24 22:59 -0500, Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com> wrote:
> I would like to hear from anyone who is successfully using Interscan
> Viruswall for Linux on FreeBSD, under Linux emulation (via the linux_base
> port).

I ordered the Solaris version and received a single CD-ROM that installs
on all supported platforms (Unix and Win32). At first, I didn't find the
distribution files for Solaris (the box came with NT docs, but I checked
with the vendor, that I received a licence that is valid on Solaris).

To my surprise, the Linux version on that media was 3.6, while the Solaris
version was still at 3.5!

Anyway, I tried the Linux version on a 4.2-STABLE box, just to compare the
performance to that of our productive system, and found that the Linux
version works just fine.

> It seems this should work with ease; however, TrendMicro refuses to
> disclose what "configuration adjustments" need to be made, citing that it's
> not "officially supported" (ie: some of their programs have hard coded path
> requirements, which they've been notified about from others who use this on
> FreeBSD).

Well, if you know about rc files and are not afraid to use symbolic links
between file systems, all should be well ;-)

I even considered creating a FreeBSD port, that installs VirusWall from a
CD-ROM ...

My trial period is over, but I have not yet de-installed the software from
my test box, so I may help get you started, in case you find any problems.

My only nit is, that you can't bind VirusWall to a single interface. My
firewall architecture requires strictly independent configurations for
incoming and outgoing messages. For that reason, I have separate instances
of VirusWall for either direction, and it required some magic to get all
the parts working together on a single box.

Regards, STefan