Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:21:31 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Justin Davis <justin@programmerz.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: to install or not to install..

Justin Davis <justin@programmerz.com> types:
> Hi. I am currently running windows ME, which crashes all the time... I
> built this computer about 6 months ago, here is a list of everything
> Soundblaster motherboard
> P3 900mhz
> Creative dvd player
> Yamaha 16x burner
> sony usb mem stick reader/writer
> GE Force 2 graphics card
>
> I want ME off of my computer, and am just going to format to do a clean
> install. I'm not sure if i should try out FreeBSD, or install either win2k
> pro, or XP. Any thoughts? This pc is used daily, and only rebooted about
> twice a week. I'd just like what everyone wants, a stable,fast os. Thanks.

Well, everyone else is recommending Win2k for desktop use, and I can't
argue that that should be a lot better than ME. The licenseing stories
I hear about XP are enough to make me wary of it. And of Win2k, for
that matter.

That said, I use FreeBSD for a desktop OS, because it is fast and
stable. The one real downside is that the latest & greatest hardware
may not work at all. This isn't because the FreeBSD developers are in
any way inferior to the MS developers, but because the hardware
manufacturers provide drivers for Windows, but not FreeBSD. In
particular, your sony memory stick reader/writer may not work, and the
yamaha cd burner could be problematical. FreeBSD does have drivers for
those types of devices, but if the particular ones you have are either
proprietary, or buggy, they may not work.

The other downside is if you deal with people who feel that MS Office
- usually, but other packages sometimes show up - are something
everyone should have, interchanging documents with them can range from
painfull to impossible.

There may well be other areas where you will have problems, depending
on what you want to do.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.