Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 23:54:29 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buggy gif in 4.4-STABLE (2 November 2001)

Brooks Davis wrote:

> > 1. It is impossible to kldload if_gif.ko when kernel was compiled without IPv6.
>
> If you're building a custom kernel you should compile in your devices.

This is what I generally do. But often it's impossible to predict
what will be nessesary later and it's undesirable to include all possible
features into production kernel :)
My kernel runs with securelevel=2 and integration of gif was a bit painful.
Aren't kernel modules designed for similar situation?

> Due to poor design of the module build system, the modules will only
> work reliably with kernels that are sufficently similar to GENERIC.  If
> you really feel it's necessicary to do this you can edit
> src/sys/modules/if_gif/Makefile and change the defintion of INET6 to 0.

It does not help. I've changed definition then run 'make clean && make'
in src/sys/modules/if_gif. New if_gif.ko is exact copy of installed
/modules/if_gif.ko

> > 2. Suppose we need IPv4 over IPv4 tunnel. We can use
> > ifconfig gif0 create tunnel a.a.a.a b.b.b.b
> > ifconfig gif0 inet ....
> >
> > If right route to b.b.b.b was 'default route' at gif0 creation time
> > and than we add new record to routing table that makes route
> > for b.b.b.b explicitly via another host, tunnel will be broken.
> > Kernel will still pass tunneled packets to the default route instead of
> > using new one. You must destroy gif0 completely:
> > 'ifconfig gif0 down delete' is not enough,
> > 'ifconfig gif0 deletetunnel' does not helps too,
> > you must use 'ifconfig gif0 destroy' and then recreate gif0 and tunnel
> > from scratch. This seems not to be right thing.
>
> Um, don't do that. :-)  I'm not sure why this happens, but there
> certaintly have been routing bugs related to gif in the past.  I can't
> see why this situation would occure in normal operation anyway.

My 'normal' operation includes reconstructing static routing on-the-fly.
I was very confused when tunnel became broken.
It took some time before I decided to remove all structures
and remake them from scratch.