Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:29:21 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Wim Livens <wim@livens.net>
Cc:        francisv@dagupan.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Revision control system

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 12:23:06AM +0100 I heard the voice of
Wim Livens, and lo! it spake thus:

> My point is that all RCS/CVS documentation I've read assumes a typical
> code-development environment where each user checks out a local copy
> in his own directory.  For configuration files, the situation is
> different, the checked out file must always reside in a certain
> directory and remain checked out at all times.  Multiple users must be
> able to check it in to commit their changes.  Am I missing something ?

Yup.

The big structure of Makefiles throughout it to install.

My layout looks something like
configs/
 webserver.domain1.com/
  etc/
   raddb/
  localetc/    # /usr/local/etc
  amanda/
  localrc/     # /usr/local/etc/rc.d
  apache/      # /usr/local/etc/apache
 mailserver.domain1.com/
  etc/
   mail/
   postfix/
  localetc/

etc. etc etc., as necessary.

So, on each machine, I keep the tree checked out and CVS update'd (useful
since I can do all config edits on my workstation, commit it, then check
it out on the target machine), then "cd ~/cvs/configs/this.machine &&
sudo make install", and it installs the configs and in cases where I feel
it's "safe", runs commands to bring the files into server (newaliases,
etc).

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com