Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:42:49 -0500
From:      "Lee Parsons" <parsonsl@upstate.edu>
To:        <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fontconfig prevents acroread from starting in FreeBSD 6.0

I used to be able to run acroread on my FreeBSD 6.0 laptop.  Recently,
trying to start acroread gives me the following error:

> acroread
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

I checked the fonts.conf file to make sure that the paths make sense.
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts does indeed contain my X11 fonts.  It is listed
twice in fonts.conf, is this a problem?

I ran fc-cache -v to build the fonts cache.  It returned a write error when
running as a non-root user for the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts directory, which
seems logical to me.

The then ran fc-list and it kicked out a very long list of fonts.

fc-cache -V shows fontconfig version 2.3.2

What do I need to do to be able to run acrobat again?

thank you
Lee