Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:54:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump succeeded / savecore: no dump

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Jason Wells wrote:

> I have been having trouble with umount and panic:page faults. In an effort
> to hunt down my enemy I have ventured for the first time into the field
> where core dumps frolic. I have been unsuccesful at catching one of these
> little beasties.

You aren't using umount -f are you?  I've had problems dismounting FSs
that people are in and then they access something in the disappeared
partition which causes a panic.  (Of course if you use -f you get what you
pay for.)

> Upon receiving the panic:page fault I recieve the following at the console.
>
> dumping to dev 30001 offset 117776
> dump 47 46 45 .... 3 2 1 succeeded
>
> "Great!" I thought to myself. I have snared the wily dump.
>
> During the boot sequence I read the message...
>
> savecore: reboot after panic: page fault
> savecore: no dump, not enough free space on device
>
> BUT swapinfo tells me...
> 			1K Blocks	Used	Avail		Capacity	Type
> /dev/wd0s2b 	108040	0	107976	0%		interleaved

BUT what does df report?  There has to be enough space on the target FS to
restore the dump, which is RAM+swap.  by default the core is dropped into
/var/crash, if you don't have enough space there the savecore will fail.
In that case run savecore yourself:

savecore /dir/with/lots/of/space/

See the savecore(8) man page for details.

> P.S. Do people appreciate the attempt to mix humor with technical
> discussion?

No comment. :-)