Date:      01 Oct 1999 14:01:34 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new sigset_t and upgrading: a proposal

Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl> writes:
> The problem
> -----------
> When doing a make world, tools are being built that are used by the
> build process. This is to make sure that the tools are appropriate for
> doing a make world. The problem we now face is that the sigset_t change
> causes this to break. The tools that are being built use new syscalls
> not present in a kernel. Not only that, the new tools expect a different
> sigframe in general.
> So, the problem can be split into:
> A) New syscalls using the new sigset_t (sigaction and so on)
> B) A new sigframe (new siginfo, no sigcontext but ucontext_t)

How about this: early in make world, we check whether or not the
current kernel supports the new syscalls. If it does, good. If it
doesn't, we build and load a small module which installs syscalls
which translate the sigset_t stuff into something the old syscalls can
grok. Does that make sense to any of you guys?

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no