Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:11:54 -0800
From:      Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can I add a raidz vdev as a mirror of existing vdevs

I have a zpool with a "stripe of mirrors" structure:

mech
   mirror-0
     disk0
     disk1
   mirror-1
     disk2
     disk3

I want to convert it from mirrors to raidz as part of an upgrade, with
the final form looking something like this:

mech
   raidz-0
     disk20
     disk21

I'd like to be able to attach the new raidz vdev as a mirror to the
entire pool, have it silver, then detach the old vdevs.  Is this at all
possible?  I'd rather not create a whole new pool and copy everything
over because doing so would require downtime.