Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2015 06:58:13 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@ixsystems.com>
To:        Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Set the default locale to en_US.UTF-8

> On Jan 25, 2015, at 6:32 AM, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru> =
wrote:
>=20
> NO! Please, NOT!
> Not all bytestring allowed in UTF-8, as result -- unpedicable failed
> execution of sed, grep, vi, ed and etc.

Huh.  Someone should warn Apple then, since $LANG has been set to =
en_US.UTF-8 by default in OS X for years now.  I just checked, and =
sed/grep/vi/ed/etc all still work. :)

It=E2=80=99s a good idea to change it.  We have outgrown ISO-Latin1, and =
UTF-8 solves a host of ugly I18N interoperability problems when used =
consistently.

- Jordan