Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:44:34 -0600
From:      John Hein <jhein@symmetricom.com>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD E-350

Oliver Fromme wrote at 17:20 +0100 on Mar 14, 2011:
 > John Hein wrote:
 >  > http://www.armkits.com/product/vss3530.asp
 >  >
 >  > Might be a bit of a porting effort, but I seem to recall some
 >  > traffic about that platform on arm@
 >
 >  > Also http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard
 >
 > Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer something that is
 > i386-compatible.  First, I don't want to spend significant
 > amount of time for porting.  Second, as far as I know, all
 > those ARM-based boards are significantly slower than even
 > an old Atom N330.  And third, I suspect that several of
 > the programs that I want to use on that box wouldn't run
 > on FreeBSD/arm, including my favourite browser (Opera,
 > including Flash support).

That's true (although speed-wise, you'd be surprised when comparing
upper end arms vs. atoms - they aren't very far apart).

If you're willing to use remote display technology [1] (running the
"application" on a server), however, they can be a very good choice.

There are some nice youtube demos of small, very low power (in the
watts sense) arm-based platforms that may also have some dsp
horsepower onboard to assist doing remote audio/video (including full
screen 3D gaming & movie watching, for instance).

Some of this definitely pushing the envelope right now, so atom is
likely more right for you.  But using arm for this space (and low
single digit W instead of 10-ish) seems not that far away.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

[1] including vnc, X11, rdp, and eventually wayland + as yet
undetermined remote rendering layer.