Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:11:50 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Erin - Lists <ef-lists@deadbbs.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 2.2.8-R to 4.0

Erin - Lists wrote:

> I was thinking of trying to upgrade from 2.2.8 to 4.0.

Make a good backup because I think if you search the archive, you will
find this doesn't work. You couldn't, at one point, even upgrade from
2.2.8 to 3.4 in one step. You had to stop at 3.2 because of the a.out
and elf problems and then upgrade to 3.4. The odds of making it to 4.0
in one step are probably pretty small. I had problems trying to cvsup
and source upgrade from 3.4 to 4.0 and ended up doing a clean install.
The UPDATING message, in hindsight, now makes sense and someone else
that had the same problems I did made it after a small conference.

Kent

> My only consearn is if the passwords in the master.passwd
> would need to be redone or if they are compatible. Is
> there a seed file for the encryption I would need to move
> over?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erin

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html