Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 19:31:23 +0100 (GMT-1)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr
To:        jwenger@bentreality.com (Jack Wenger)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail (shudder, grimace, groan)

Jack Wenger wrote / a ecrit:

> I just installed qpop-2.1.4.3.tgz on our FBSD 2.1 box. Where the hell did it
> get put?

pkg_info -L qpop-2.1.4.3

should tell you.

> How do I configure it?

Maybe it already configured itself, but you may want to check that the
line in /etc/inetd.conf that is similar to this one:

pop3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/popper       popper

is *not* commented out (no '#' at the beginning)

Also, you might have to send a signal to the inetd daemon so  that  it
reloads its configuration file. Type (as root):

kill -1 `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

To check that it is working, try to telnet to port 110 of your machine
as:

telnet localhost 110

You should get a connection then something like:

+OK QUALCOMM Pop server derived from UCB  (version  2.1.4-R3)  at  xxx starting.

Type:

QUIT <RETURN>

to close the connection.

> I've got sendmail working just fine, but the
> only place I and my users can get there mail is if they telnet in.(our
> server is co-located and not generally physically available). So I figured
> I'd have to run a POP server. I downloaded the afore mentioned file,
> installed it using pkg_manage. No error messages (cool). But, I can't find
> it or any mention of it. I'm a lowly computer graphics guy who is scrambling
> to learn how to administer this stuff (our sys admin died), so please help!
Sounds scary :-( (I am a sysadmin)...

Good luck,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE