Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 09:29:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: What do newbies do with FreeBSD?

I was exposed to UNIX (AIX) shell scripts and vi while learning programming
at a local tech school about three years ago. DOS w/ teeth! Loved it! At the
time, I was a little shaky on just what Linux was, but I stumbled across
FreeBSD at Walnut Creek while doing a web search. The pedigree was impressive
and the price ($24.95-subscription) was right. The learning curve was kinda
steep for the first six months or so, but I've never looked back. It's been my
primary desktop system for the last year and a half. I keep learning and
FreeBSD keeps getting better w/ each release.

I've learned some of the ins and outs of TCP/IP and ethernet, I've gotten to
where I can make my X desktop (fvwm2 and TkDesk) do what I want. I've learned to
do some programming w/ Tcl/Tk (which was new to me) and with C (not new but
I'm still a rank amateur) using gcc and emacs. Right now I'm working on Samba
to try sharing Tcl/Tk apps btw FBSD and Win98. I love this stuff.

On 10-May-99 Dan Langille wrote:
> This may sound like a sarcastic question, but I assure it is not.  We were
> talking about this just a few minutes ago.
>
> I'll be the first to answer.  I started using FreeBSD to act as a firewall
> and a gateway.  Eventually I started using the mail server, web server,
> and the mailing list server.
>
> What did you do?
> --
> Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited