Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 1996 20:48:05 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org

Erm.  I wasn't exactly kidding about the idea of putting things into a
simplistic database of some sort.  Since all *standard* storage
formats suck, and since we have, from the very beginning, also been
archiving this stuff without a whole heck of a lot of regard to how we
might actually *use* the information, doesn't this suggest a new
approach to the problem?

We archive all this mail just *in case* someone might use it, yet we
make almost no provisions for really making it all that easy to search
and view threads of discussion, nor do we provide a meaningful way of
aging and deleting (or archiving) older information.  Databases do all
those things, and they let you easily come up with new ways of viewing
the data as you collect user feedback on what's useful and what's not.
Databases also, in most cases, deal with *large* amounts of data
efficiently.  Seems like our needs to the tenth decimal place.  The
only really big question is - how could we implement something like
this?  There's gotta be at least one database weenie in the crowd
here! :-)

					Jordan