Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:57:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd problems with a Conner SCSI drive..

I'm trying to add a new drive to my system.  The drive is a little unusual
(its from a SUN workstation with a single integrated interface that has an
adapter for the 50pin cables), but I seem to recall having one of the same
drives on another FreeBSD system...  The drive probes as:

(ahc0:3:0): "CONNER CFP1060E SUN1.05 245C" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd1(ahc0:3:0): Direct-Access 1010MB (2070400 512 byte sectors)

I've tried adding it with /stand/sysinstall, but all that does is when I
try to 'W'rite the label it gives me a 'newfs: /usr3 Invalid Argument' or
some such (going from memory).  So, I go one step lower, I ran dd from
/dev/zero to the drive with a 100 count (and later I did the whole drive,
for the hell of it).  Following this I did 'disklabel -Brw sd1 auto' and
then simply 'disklabel -Brw sd1 auto'--per the Handbook Suggestions.  ALL
I change in the disklabel is I add a partition for the filesystem, using
the label 'e'.  However, when I try to save and quit it gives me the
error:

    line 23: bad partition name

(???)

Following the man pages, 'e' is a perfectly valid partition name.  I'm
wondering if this has anything to do with the other disklabel information
which say it only has 3 partitions--so I use 'd' instead, and it seems to
work... Saving in disklabel gives the warning:

    Warning, unused partition d: size 2070400 offset 0

I'm also not sure if I'm supposed to change the 'type' to SCSI in
disklabel, nor what should go in the 'disk', label and flags fields...

-Brandon Gillespie
# /dev/rsd1c:
type: unknown
disk:
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 93
tracks/cylinder: 8
sectors/cylinder: 744
cylinders: 2782
sectors/unit: 2070400
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  2070400        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -2782*)
  d:  2070400        0    4.4BSD     1024  8192