Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 08:53:51 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/alpha kernel status report

> Mike Smith took on my hack and was intending to spruce it up a bit to make
> a more generally useful standalone library and probably add ELF kernel

Yup.  I've been trying to work out how to separate the libkern bits
from the kernel and make a completely standalone "libsa".  The design
of the NetBSD code is pretty clean, so writing a machine-specific
backend will be fairly trivial in most cases.

> > for what I would like to do with FreeBSD for bus/device support will
> > require the ability to have the boot loader support loading multiple
> > modules before the kernel starts running...  and once this happens, we
> > can essecially eliminate main from the kernel, and simply have it use
> > the module loading code to initalize the kernel...
>
> Now I never thought of loading more than just the kernel from the
> bootloader.  Its a very good idea given that we (nearly) have a flexible
> three stage loader.  My original intention was to link the modules
> critical devices (console, system bus, root disk) statically with the
> kernel and load all the others during autoconfig as the system probes for
> devices.

Given that the bootstrap loader must already have access to the root
device (remember that it may be a non-local filesystem), it makes sense
to use that to construct a kernel similarly endowed, if that's possible.

There's a lot of design missing here though - we would be better off
starting with your planned arrangement, and adding boot-phase linking
later, simply because that's closer to what we can achieve right now.