Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 14:06:47 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-openoffice@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why only for i386

On Friday 26 May 2006 12:30 pm, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200605261225.36548.jkim@FreeBSD.org>
>
>             Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : On Friday 26 May 2006 09:59 am, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
> : > > what's the reason for marking all the open office ports as
> : > > only for i386?
> : >
> : > Simply because OpenOffice.org works only on i386 at present.
> :
> : Yup.  And I am working on amd64 porting for your brand new
> : Turion64 laptop and my poor old Athlon64 laptop. ;-)
>
> How difficult is that being for you?

Most of the machine dependent code is already done by Linux people.  I
am just bridging MD code with FreeBSD now.  It is mostly working but
it has some rough edges.  Most difficulty is build-test-rebuild cycle
because of my poor laptop is not so fast, CPU, memory and disk.
OpenOffice.org source is about 300MB, (gzip'd tarball).  It is so big
because this tarball includes third-party software tarballs (e.g.,
Python, BerkeleyDB, boost, etc.) and local patches for OOo.
Unfortunately some third-party packages are not patched for
FreeBSD/amd64.  In that case, I am referencing FreeBSD ports to fix
them.

Jung-uk Kim