Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 11:41:46 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

OK guys I've been talking with another user who can recreate this crash
and the last bit of information we've learned seems to be leaning towards
interrupts/IRQ issues like someone (bz@ perhaps?) suggested.

I'm still trying to test this myself, but the other user was able to
recreate my crash pretty much on demand. The fix was to not use the first
NIC in the VM because it will always share an IRQ with mpt0. Once mpt0 is
on its own the crash does not seem to be reproducible anymore.

Before:

$ vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                         378          0
irq6: fdc0                             9          0
irq15: ata1                           34          0
irq16: em1                        687237          1
irq18: em0 mpt0                319094024        539
cpu0: timer                    236770821        400
Total                          556552503        940

After:

$ vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                          38          0
irq6: fdc0                             9          0
irq15: ata1                           34          0
irq16: em1                          2811         15
irq17: em2                             5          0
cpu0: timer                        71013        398
irq256: mpt0                       12163         68
Total                              86073        483

Is there any other way we can make mpt0 get its own dedicated IRQ without
having to do this? The problem is that it causes us to have to make
rc.conf changes, pf.conf changes, and who knows what other software could
be on these machines that is trying to bind to a specific NIC...

Thanks!