Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:05:32 -0800
From:      Jo Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, stable@freebsd.org, current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:30:41PM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
> This statement makes no sense.  The core team wouldn't have much to
> do with this other than possibly being involved in making any service
> official.  Also, approval is never given to include a non-existent
> feature.  Easy, binary updates sound like a great idea, but without
> seeing actual code thats all anyone can say other than offering advice.
> If volunteering is conditional on acceptance of the work, that's a
> chicken-egg problem and is not resolvable.  We simply can't maintain
> quality if we accept non-existent code just because the idea sounds
> good.

What are you talking about?  These issues have been repeatedly brought up
in the mailing lists, and what it would require to make it possible to
handle appropriately (namely, core os packages or a similar versioning
mechanism) and the arguements have often been given.

And many people _ARE_ already trying to handle binary updates without core
OS support.  We are all struggling with the same limitations.  Talk to the
security officer about this if you don't believe me.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek