Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:03:25 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   of shell, find, and (g)xargs (Re: mass uninstall all ports?)

on Jul 16 11:29, i got this from Andreas...
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 07:10:17PM -0400, parv wrote:
> > ...in the end both will do the same thing: remove/delete all the
> > installed software as listed in /var/db/pkg. if you go the 'pkg_info'
> > route, you should add '-f' and or '-d' flag.
> >
> > if pkg_delete/xargs/shell complain that 'pipe broken', 'too many
> > arguments', or some such, then you can try this...
> >
> > # find /var/db/pkg -type d -execdir pkg_delete -fd {} \;
>
> This forks a pkg_delete command for every port found, thats expensive.
> Why not use find/xargs combination in this case as well ?
>
> ( cd /var/db/pkg; find . -type d | xargs pkg_delete )

if you re-read my message i mentioned 'too many arguments' & 'xargs' &
'shell' in one sentence. so i came up w/ above 'find' command. that
way 'too many arguments' or 'pipe broken' will be missed at the
expense of extra fork, as you have noted.

actually, i would have preferred this myself...

# cd /var/db/pkg && ( find . -type d | gxargs -i pkg_delete -df {} )

...but since freebsd's xargs doesn't support anything like gnu xargs' '-i'
option and gxargs is a port (or, it's data would have existed under
/var/db/pkg), that would haven not worked. at least not without
mv'ing /var/db/pkg/findutils-* out of /var/db/pkg.

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
	 - parv