Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:41:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Philipp <pjp@bsd-daemon.net>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial console help please

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Studded wrote:

> 	I followed the instructions in the handbook for setting up a serial
> console, however when I start up my serial software on the windows 98
> machine (CRT) all I see is garbage characters. According to the
> debugging section of the handbook that indicates a mismatch in baud or
> parity, but I've double double checked and the windows side is all
> 9600,8,N,1; and I'm using the std.9600 gettytab, all according to the
> instructions. I did try changing the number of data bits and the stop
> bit, and I could with certain combinations get a local echo in clear
> text, but that was as close as I got. I should point out that I haven't
> rebooted yet, but according to the handbook page I shouldn't have to?
>
> 	So, any suggestions on what to look at or change would be well
> appreciated. On the com2 system icon on the windows machine I have:
>
> 9600, 8, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control.
>
> On the CRT setup screen I have:
>
> 9600, 8, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control.
>
> 	Also, if anyone knows of a good freeware serial emulator for windows
> I'd appreciate a pointer to that as well. :)

You mentioned serial cuaa1, make sure there is not conflicts and here is
something that may interest you.

from /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/README.serial:

- Using a port other than COM1 as the console requires some recompiling.
  Again, it's usually assumed that COM1 will be available for use as a
  console device on a dedicated file/compute/terminal server, so hopefully
  you'll never need to do this. But if you feel you must change the
console
  to a different port, here's how:

        o Get the kernel source package.
        o Edit /etc/make.conf and set BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT to the
          address of the port you want to use (0x3F8, 0x2F8, 0x3E8 or
          0x2E8). Only COM1 through COM4 can be used; multiport serial
          cards will not work. No interrupt setting is needed.
        o Create a custom kernel configuration file and add appropriate
          options. For example, if you want to make COM2 the console:

          options "CONUNIT=1"
          options "CONADDR=0x2F8"

        o Recompile both the boot blocks and the kernel.
        o Install the boot blocks with the disklabel command and boot
          from the new kernel.

This is taken from the 2.2.8-REL sources so if you're already up to
3.x then you might want to reread on how this changed.

Hope that helps,

Peter Philipp (PP2441)
Daemonic Networks
"In theory, theory is the same as practice, but not in practice" - ???